The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

Good book. Unfortunately, it took me far longer to get through this than I originally planned. It wasn't at all that I wasn't enjoying it - I certainly was, for what it's worth - but I've found that reading Victorian (or earlier) literature can be exhausting. This was no exception.

I took more notes and highlights on my kobo with this than with any other three books combined. Some sections of it are very quotable. Characters were engaging, and each of them generally stood out. They each had their moments of cringe-inducing assholery (some of them much more than others), no lie, and the frequent little misogynist jabs were massively irritating. Expected, considering when it was published, but no less frustrating.

Arguably, at the core of it, this is a story about love. Platonic love, between our intrepid heroes the Inseparables and d'Artagnan, and romantic love when it comes to Mme. Bonacieux. The story starts out relatively light-hearted and adventurous, and slowly darkens and strains as it goes on. Can't say I was expecting that, but I appreciated the end result.

I'm honestly conflicted about reviewing this. Something about Milady hasn't sat well with me since I finished the book, but I couldn't say what. Perhaps it was that I never really disliked her - I only really felt sorry for her. She didn't feel like a villain at all to me, despite the things she did. I don't know.

tl;dr - reads a bit like an adventurous soap opera, and I can definitely see why it has so many adaptations.