The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

The last time I read this was in either 2003 or 2004, I believe. It's been in my to-read pile for some time now; I was a little hesitant when I pulled its slip of paper from my Unread Books jar, as I a) couldn't remember much about the book except that it stayed with me for some time when I was younger, and b) that I wasn't as impressed by it as the friend who lent it to me was.

It was good. Hard to read at times due to the subject, but still good. I think I can appreciate some of the things addressed now that I'm much older, which, I think, gave me a better understanding of the book this time around. The prose and imagery hit me just right, poetic and bright without being pretentious.

One problem I had with it is that it is an intense book, but there's not many situations where the rawness of it is allowed to pull back for a moment and allow you to breathe a little before diving back into it. It got rather numbing after a while...actually, now that I'm thinking about it and typing it out, perhaps that just parallels the ending of the book somewhat. Huh.

I haven't seen the movie - I wasn't even aware there was one - and it's unlikely I will ever watch it as I suspect it won't be able to capture the feel of the book well enough.