SPOILER ALERT!
Shadowplay - Laura Lam

Shadowplay picks up a lot of the slack I thought dragged Pantomime down a bit (a case of debut syndrome) - still not perfect, still taking big steps forward. I'm so pleased about that.

Micah really gets a chance to come into himself in this book. He's growing as a person, his world view is expanding, and he's having to juggle not just living yet another layer of incognito, but all of the revelations and changes that both himself and the world around him is going through.

Political upheaval is a real threat, Alder magic seems to be finding its way back into the world, Maske and his fellow Kymri Theatre workers and performers become something resembling a real family for him, and the Damselfly that had haunted him before is pushing her way more strongly into his awareness.

Through all of that, Micah finally seems to be discovering who he is and what he wants for his life. He hasn't at all lost the cheekiness and boldness that really endeared him to me in Pantomime, and tends not to take injustices sitting down.

I'm very much looking forward to Masquerade (which isn't out until 2017), and I'm eager to read False Hearts when it's out as well.